3.09.2009

Steaming pile of... | Bread & Butter

After a busy day of work I was just climbing into bed for the night to get some (hopefully healing) sleep (sick - hack, hack) before school tomorrow when I figured I'd do a once over of the my usual news sources one last time to see what I'd missed today.

And low and behold, I came across this interesting lovely, little bit of pseudo-news video footage via CNN.com, titled:

"Diners eat from toilet, drink from urinal".


This is no joke, believe me, I wish it were.

For any Top Chef junkie, we all know that presentation is everything. And how your plate looks counts a good deal toward satisfying your customer (or world-renowned, celebrity-chef judge) and as we all know, the customer is always right.

But it seems that a new restaurant in Hong Kong has thrown caution to the wind or perhaps flushed it down the drain all in the name of kitsch.

The eatery named Modern Toilet, is dishing up their eats in recepticals that are used to receiving food but usually only AFTER it's digested (or only partially if what you're serving turns out to be particularly vile).

Which for me, in this instance, might be the case. Even IF their food was delicious, I simply cannot imagine anything less appetizing than shoveling a steaming pile of... Chinese food into my mouth out of miniaturized toilet (with a cutesy, plastic pile of poo on the cafeteria tray beside it nonetheless).

Even the light fixtures in this place are poo shaped and the ambiance is truly complete by the soundtrack of toilets flushing, as the urinals that line the walls blink in a variety of different colors. I mean come on.


After some further investigation I found this article on Time.com on the so-called "Edible Excretions" via this expanding Taiwanese restaurant chain. So popular it's expanding? Really?

In the Time article Modern Toilet manager Chen Min-kuang says, "It's supposed to shock and confuse the senses."

Well if that's the point, you've got me Chen. I'm definitely confused.

Even the menu bares dish titles like "bloody poop" and "green dysentary". Yuck, just yuck.

I don't care if they have the best poo poo platter ever to grace a plate on their menu, I just can't get past the plate resembling a toilet.

Am I the only one that thinks this restaurant concept stinks?

No comments:

Post a Comment