My last catchup post finally! Stay tuned for a post about what my garden looks like today!On May 25, finally everything was just right. The stars aligned, the weather was warm and my plants: nearly adolescent. It was time for all my leafy friends to leave the safety of their transitional containers and finally adorn my empty rows of dirt.
We started by placing our plants around our garden as a makeshift plan for it's layout. We spaced them at what we thought was equal distance. Admittedly we ended up with a whole lot of happy, healthy plants and a relatively small patch of land in hindsight. Wanting to maximize our yield in the amount of space we have, we planted our seedlings a little closer together than you ideally probably should. We figured they'd be fine though, they'll just have to learn to mingle. Our tomatoes in particular have ended up pretty cozy, but they seem to be thriving regardless.
We deposited our cucumber, zucchini and eggplant next. We were at a loss on where to put them when it came down to it. We didn't originally intend on growing any of these but I was gifted the three baby plants and just had to find them a home. I knew they would get big and leafy and in the cucumbers case, would vine, so placement was key and I'm still not sure I put them in the best spot. I think next year I would place them on an end row, against the fencing or would cage them as they've gotten pretty wild.
And before the rain came, we spooned out our little pepper plants into their own row. It felt good to finally have all the plants in and settled finally. The garden was finally looking like one, instead of a brown patch behind my shed.
Time to get growing!



wondering if you're having the same problems with blight on your zuchini and cukes ! Your pics and garden look amazing too.
ReplyDeleteMy cukes are doing fantastic. They're the best. Seed saving my Boothby Blondes for next year. My Zucchini is not doing very well though. The plant got huge but my yeild has been lousey. :( They grew strange too. They get about 4 inches long then refuse to increase in length and just got fat. Strange.
ReplyDeleteI have however had a TON of trouble with disease and my tomatoes. My grapes have done alright, but my Beefsteaks ripen on the vine and when I harvest within a day they start to wither and look like they have some sort of fungus? It's been too cool and way way way too wet this season. Lots of mold.
Hi Emily. Nice photos and design! I like it!!
ReplyDeletePama
hey we use to plant when we had a big space in front of our house!!unfortunately now we live in big towers so there is no garden space!but that time we grew tomatoes,lemon,oranges,potatoes,lady finger,carrot,cauliflower etc..
ReplyDeleteyou have taken some really beautiful pics and your plantation is looking awesome well aligned!!njoi your gardening!!ohh also plant red,white and pink roses,we did,they look beautiful!!